Thursday, March 12, 2015

31 Days Straight Art Day 12: March 12, 2015 & Thursday Tools

Hello again,

So I finally scanned my Unoa Freak 3 that I got since like... months ago. I thought I scanned it in but I didn't. Oh well.



I am very happy with that book though because they have TONS of patterns, especially for Unoa Zero. The previous Unoa Freak did only have 1 pattern for Unoa Zero and it wasn't very nice. I spent a good afternoon hacking at all the patterns I wanna sew and indeed I will sew them when I get them all sorted, categorized, and seam allowances fixed.



I want that mini beret damn it! I went straight back for that damn hat. Wish me luck hand sewing these pieces this time!

______________________________

So what is this week's Thursday tools?



Actually it is a very simple yet effective one. So I got here a quilting foot. This is the default foot I would use on my sewing machine. I actually don't like the default foot on my sewing machine but I will use it if I have to.

Why is this my favorite sewing foot?



Because the foot's sides are 1/4" (6mm). If you put the fabric right up to the foot and leave the sewing machine's needle position to default you can sew 1/4" consistently. This is why quilters use that foot and that is why I use that foot. The normal human seam allowance that is standard is 5/8". I would only have that much of a seam allowance if I am sewing for myself, but for a doll from 1/6 scale to 1/3 scale 1/4" is good enough.

In many Japanese books the general seam allowance is 5mm for doll sewing. Now sewing machines that sew metric *does* have a 5mm foot but my machine is made for the US market so it has 1/4" instead. Some patterns even have you go to 1/8" (3mm) for the seam allowance and that is just too small for me unless I am making panties or something that requires a much more narrow seam allowance. I would trace the patterns and just add or subtract the seam allowance to where I want so I can use that quilting foot. I am a stickler that way. Believe me, 1mm can go a long way to screw up your sewing when sewing tiny things, so if you are sewing for the dollies and planning on using that foot don't forget to add it on your pattern! It takes time but it is better to get things perfect than ripping your hair out.

What about sewing for (insert fabric type here)? In my experience it doesn't matter what kind of fabric I am sewing: stretch, denim, etc... There are special feet for special jobs don't get me wrong like the ruffler foot I featured here last week, zipper foot, button foot, and so forth. As long as you have the correct needle for the job and the fabric is carefully controlled this foot would work just fine for normal fabric seam sewing. This only applies if you are just sewing pieces of fabric together, NOT for special work. When in doubt, turn to your machine manufacturer.

So there you go. Something dead simple but effective when sewing dolly clothes. Tools don't need to be all fancy all the time. You just need the right one to work.

No comments: