Wednesday, January 7, 2015

WIP Wednesday 1/7/15

Hello everyone!

So if you are a loyal reader of my flickr you would notice that I did not really sew anything since late October. I ended up with a terrible shoulder injury on both arms. That prevented me from doing much if any sewing or planning at all, though I tried a few times and end up hurting myself.

Now that I am back to myself somewhat it is time to do sewing again.



The first thing I tackled was making stuff with fur. I literally have yards and yards of it at my disposal and I have hardly even touched it! So... I cut some up and tried to sew with it. It is quite trying for me because fur is rather thick and can have a lot of resistance while sewing.


... and I came up with this! This is a prototype but Didi is wearing it proudly. :)



I also ended up dyeing some fabric. Don't you just hate it when you go to the store and found a fabric that you really like but there are just so few colors. What does one do? You dye the fabric! Every time I see this sweatshirt fabric I would use it up to make other sweatshirt experiments. You do get tired of sewing gray and white after a while, so what I did was buy a bunch of the same fabric but white, wash it first to get rid of any residual stuff from handling, and then dye it in the sink! This stuff is 95% cotton, so it dyes fine. If it is polyester there is another dye for that. I am still waiting for the results of the dye job to finish. I am glad that it is not bright pink because that was what the color was while rinsing it out over the sink. It is a strong yet soft pink. I think I will be spending a lot of time dyeing fabric. If you are dyeing fabric liquid is definitely the way to go if you want to mix colors. If you are dyeing from the powder it is best to dye it straight up with the color on the box because mixing colors with the box dye for one makes a mess and for 2 will not get the result you want.

Anyway so this is the start of my new year. I am trying to get myself back to work. ^.^ Hopefully there will be clothes for sale soon. I am definitely working on that.

No comments: